The first episode of ETV Classics: Holiday Edition doesn't go too far back, but it's the perfect way to kick-off this special time of year. P.A. Bennett, the long-time host of SCETV's Connections, preps viewers for the holiday season with Chef Charlotte Jenkins and Chef Kenneth Manigault. Prepare to travel from the Low Country to the Piedmont for lessons on holiday cooking.
Chef Jenkins, also known as The Gullah Lady, stops by the SCETV studio courtesy of the Gullah Cuisine restaurant in Mt. Pleasant, SC. The author of Gullah Cuisine, Jenkins shares one of her recipes for making Gullah Chicken Stew. Find the ingredients listed below.
Gullah Stew Chicken Ingredients:
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon of dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 (3 lb.) chickens, cut in quarters
- All-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of diced onions
- 1 cup of diced peeled carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 quart of chicken stock
This show also featured Chef Manigault from the La Vielle Maison restaurant, located in Greenville, S.C. Chef Manigault takes viewers on a journey from creating ice sculptures, assembling Gingerbread houses and cooking a crawfish dish with a special twist.