COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina ETV (SCETV) today announced Discover You, a short documentary film seeking to showcase South Carolinians that discovered or rediscovered themselves through art during the past year. Providing a hopeful look at the ways many have found peace in a hectic, uncertain world, the film will feature art submissions from South Carolina residents, encompassing various art mediums, such as audio, video, still graphic and written material.
A collaboration between filmmaker Nick Andrews, founder of the SHDWMSS Collective, and SCETV, this project is being created under the Reel South SHORTS initiative. Reel South, which is set to premiere its sixth season on Public Broadcast System (PBS) stations across the country next month, is a curated documentary series executive produced by SCETV, PBS North Carolina and Louisiana Public Broadcasting. As a Reel South SHORT, Discover You will be broadcast and streamed on SCETV and PBS platforms.
For South Carolina residents that wish to submit a piece of art for inclusion in this project, the network welcomes beginners, professionals and all others to make a submission before the Wednesday, March 31 deadline. Regarding the type of submissions, SCETV is seeking short films, photographs, documentaries, animations, scrapbooks, sculptures, Lego creations, time-lapses, songs, recipes and more. Submission should be limited to art created since the beginning of 2020, and video submissions should be no longer than one minute.
To make a submission or to find out more about Discover You, visit www.scetv.org/discover-you.
“Throughout the last year, we’ve all experienced periods of isolation and anxiety. Instead of dwelling on the uncertainty, many South Carolinians turned to creativity, producing art that generated hope and peace. With ‘Discover You,’ we’ll be able to showcase these works, telling an inspirational story of human resilience and the power of imagination.” –SCETV President and CEO Anthony Padgett
“As a society that relies on and consumes the arts, embracing our local creatives with a greater sense of appreciation has never been more important. It's up to us to uplift and nurture the future generations of makers, doers and, above all, thinkers. Given the opportunity of self discovery, you could find something out about yourself that you never knew existed until you discovered, You.” –Nick Andrews, ‘Discover You’ director/producer and founder of SHDWMSS Collective
FIVE FAST FACTS:
- SCETV today announced Discover You, a short film to showcase how South Carolinians used art to find hope and peace during the restless times over the past year.
- The network is calling on the citizens of the state to submit art they cultivated since the beginning of 2020; this material will drive the film’s narrative.
- SCETV welcomes beginners, professionals and all others to make a submission before the Wednesday, March 31 deadline.
- A collaboration between Nick Andrews, founder of the SHDWMSS Collective, and SCETV, this project is being created under the Reel South SHORTS initiative.
- To make a submission or to find out more about Discover You, visit www.scetv.org/discover-you.