COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina Educational Television (SCETV) today announced the launch of a country music songwriting contest, taking place in conjunction with the premiere of Ken Burns’ new PBS documentary, “Country Music.” Targeting rising fifth through 12th grade South Carolina students, the contest features both an individual and group category.
With a submission deadline of September 6, 2019, finalists will be notified by September 10, and the winners for each category will be chosen by the general public via online voting. Winners will be announced on September 25, 2019 at a screening event for the aforementioned “Country Music” documentary hosted by the S.C. Governor’s School for the Arts and Humanities.
Premiering Sunday, September 15 at 8 p.m., Ken Burns’ “Country Music” explores the remarkable stories of the people and places behind one of America’s unique art forms. The eight-part, 16-hour series focuses on the biographies of the fascinating characters who created and shaped country music, as well as the times in which they lived.
“Over the course of the 20th century, country music emerged as one of America’s most popular art forms. As we prepare to present that story on our airwaves with Ken Burns’ new film, this contest will allow us to shine a light on talented South Carolinians that use that art form to tell their stories.” –SCETV President and CEO Anthony Padgett
“We are excited about this opportunity for students, because it covers multiple curriculum areas. Through the development of song lyrics and music composition, students will demonstrate 21st century skills, including communication, creativity, innovation and media literacy. We look forward to seeing the entries and encourage students to submit an entry that reflects what country music means to them.” –SCETV Vice President of Education Dr. Stephanie Frazier
FIVE FAST FACTS:
- SCETV today announced the launch of a country music songwriting contest.
- The contest is taking place in conjunction with the premiere of Ken Burns’ new PBS documentary, “Country Music.”
- With a submission deadline of September 6, 2019, finalists will be notified by September 10, and the winners for each category will be chosen by the general public via online voting.
- Ken Burns’ “Country Music” documentary premieres on SCETV Sunday, September 15 at 8 p.m.
- To learn more about the contest or make a submission, click here.