Winter holiday fun is plentifully this month with one-hour specials and holiday-themed episodes feeding between December 4 and December 27. The seasonal specials include...
South Carolina ETV premiering environmental conservation film 'Cultivating the Wild' Thursday, Nov. 12
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Cultivating the Wild: William Bartram’s Travels (Cultivating the Wild), a one-hour documentary film exploring the connections between the renowned 18th century botanist and leaders of the South’s modern environmental conservation movement will be premiering on South Carolina ETV (SCETV) Thursday, Nov. 12 at 9 p.m.
Presented by SCETV and distributed by the National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA), Cultivating the Wild is narrated by Bailey White and co-produced by Delicate Prince Pictures and Sputnik Pictures. Production on the project began in 2015 with post-production commencing in fall 2017.
Cultivating the Wild is inspired by the life and work of botanist William Bartram, who, from 1773 to 1777, traveled across the Southeast, from North Carolina south to Florida and west to the Mississippi River, recording his observations and cataloging the region’s flora and fauna.
Connecting this work to the present, the film spotlights several individuals who are advancing Bartram’s legacy in their own way, including manatee researcher Wayne Hartley, environmentalist James Holland, artist and essayist Philip Juras, Wildlife Biology professor Dr. J. Drew Lanham, author, naturalist and environmental activist Janisse Ray and Florida native of Muscogee Creek descent Jim Sawgrass.
“The significant environmental conservation movement taking place across the Southeast will most certainly have a positive impact on the quality of life for future generations. SCETV is proud to present this project, which connects leaders of this current movement with William Bartram, one of the most renowned botanists in American history.” –SCETV President and CEO Anthony Padgett
FIVE FAST FACTS:
- Cultivating the Wild is premiering on SCETV Thursday, Nov. 12 at 9 p.m.
- Co-produced by SCETV, Delicate Prince Pictures and Sputnik Pictures, the film is being distributed to public television stations around the country by NETA.
- Cultivating the Wild is inspired by the life and work of 18th century botanist William Bartram and spotlights several individuals who are advancing his legacy today.
- Production on the project began in 2015 with post-production commencing in fall 2017.
- To access a comprehensive digital press kit for the film, click here.