Clemson Extension Agent and host of "Making It Grow" Amanda McNulty shows how she creates Fall flower arrangements using a green pumpkin as the container.
Lillie's of Charleston
"Making It Grow" featured South Carolina Specialty Food Association member Lillie's of Charleston. Tracey Richardson shared the story of these sauces and also shared some recipes.
Lillie’s Spicy Hummus
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Lillie’s of Charleston Low Country Loco or Special Blend hot sauce
- Black Benne seeds
In a medium sized bowl, pour in olive oil just coating bottom. Next spoon your favorite hummus on top.
Drizzle in your choice of Lillie’s or Charleston hot sauce in a circular pattern. Using a narrow utensil (like a bamboo skewer or butter knife), swirl the hot sauce and hummus together.
Sparingly, sprinkle Benne seeds over the top.
Additional garnishes: diced tomatoes, roasted corn and fried Okra slices
Gullah Red Rice
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 medium Bell pepper
- 1 stalk Celery
- 14.5 oz. Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Tomato paste
- 1 cup Spicy crumbled sausage
- 1 cup Shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup Lillie’s Low Country Loco Hot sauce
- 4 cups of water, flavored with powdered Chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 cups Par-boiled rice
*Heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Dice all your vegetables. In a pan over medium heat, sauté vegetables with the garlic and tomato paste.
2. Add the sausage and cook until brown and crumbled.
3. Sauté shrimp until it just turns slightly pink.
4. In a Dutch oven under medium heat on the stove top, pour in all of your liquids. Flavor water with powdered chicken broth mix to your taste. Add thyme and canola oil and bring liquids to a gentle boil.
5. Stir in rice, vegetables and meat. While gently stirring, cook to a rolling boil ( ~1-2 minutes).
6. Take off stove top and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Keep check on rice and occasionally stir.
7. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and cook for another 5-10 minutes.Just until most of the liquid dissipates out of the rice and is fluffy.
- 4 oz. Vodka
- 4 oz. Sweet Tea
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- 12 oz. Ginger Beer
- 2 dashes Lillie’s of Charleston Low Country Loco Hot sauce
- Glass Rim: Sea salt or Turbinado sugar
- Garnish: Mint leaves & Lime wedge
Pour all liquids into a glass carafe. Shake in 2 dashes of Lillie’s hot sauce and stir.
Rim your mason jar with sea salt or turbinado sugar.
Add half a glass of crushed ice then pour in cocktail.
Garnish with mint leaves and a wedge of lime.