Red, White and BBQ (May 22 - 28) Fire up the grill this Memorial Day weekend as Create ushers in the unofficial start of summer. Tune in for back-to-back episodes featuring...
Kale Salad with Eggs, Sweet Potatoes and Honey-Tahini Dressing
Clemson Extension Food Safety & Nutrition Agent Gayle G. Williford visited us at "Making It Grow" and showed us how to make a Kale Salad with Kale Salad, Sweet Potatoes and Clemson Extension.
Here are the directions:
- 2 teaspoons tahini ( sesame seed paste )
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ clove garlic, smashed
- Whisk together tahini, vinegar, honey, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Continue to whisk as you slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until everything is combined.
- Stir in smashed garlic and store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- 1 ½ - 2 cups raw kale, sliced into ½ inch strips
- tahini dressing ( above )
- 1/3 cup farro cooked in vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ baked sweet potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts or pecans, chopped roughly
- 2 Tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 hard cooked eggs, quartered
Place kale strips and dressing into a zipper type bag. Close bag and open again slightly to remove most of the air from bag. Massage kale and dressing until kale begins to soften slightly.
Place kale in a small bowl or container. Top with, farro, sweet potato, feta, walnuts, and eggs. The salad ingredients can be prepared ahead of time to make assembly easy. Pack the night before for a hearty bagged lunch.