SCETV’s Education Division is ramping up its emphasis on early learning and literacy. Last month, we hired a new Early Learning and Literacy Coordinator and introduced new...
Free courses for free time
With the holidays, come a few days off work, woohoo! But before you fill all that time with shopping, cooking, and (let’s be real) catching up on sleep, plan a few hours to invest in yourself and your teaching career with a free self-paced course from PBS TeacherLine. These ‘mini’ courses are perfect for a weekend or anytime you have a few hours and the desire to grow your skills!
What to expect
PBS TeacherLine self-paced courses are "bite-sized" professional learning opportunities to help you spark new ideas, expand your skill set, and energize your classroom. In each course, you can explore course content, watch videos, complete interactive labs, and take self-assessments at your own pace.
While you could readily complete one in a weekend, you have one full year to access the content for review or completion. Most of the courses are free although there are a few that cost $49.
Sample free self-paced courses:
- RDLA1201 Using Shared Reading to Teach and Engage All Readers
- INST1201 Thinking and Making with Media in PreK-2 Classrooms
- SCIE1309 K-2 Science Tips: Energy & Motion
- LEAD1101 Positive Behavior in Schools I: Introduction to Schoolwide Behavior Systems
- LEAD1103 Positive Behavior in Schools III: Bullying Prevention
- LEAD1141 GED® Test Info: Mathematics
- LEAD1151 Formative Assessment in Practice: Administration and Leadership
- LEAD1161 Formative Assessment in Practice: Secondary Classrooms
- LEAD1171 Classroom Video Production
IMPORTANT: Because these self-paced courses are all less than 15 instruction hours each, they do not readily come with any credit; for any possible credit acceptance, please check with your school/district.
* If you’re interested in an online course that does offer pre-approved SC renewal credits or graduate credits, please review upcoming TeacherLine facilitated courses. Some even offer Read to Succeed (R2S) credit.
For more information on both self-paced and facilitated PBS TeacherLine courses, please review our FAQs or call ETV at 800-277-0829.
However you spend your time over the holidays, may it be meaningful to you!