ETV Teacher Recertification offers South Carolina teachers a variety of online, self-paced courses approved by SDE for 20 renewal credits.
Deconstruct the Reconstruction Contest
SCETV Education presents the “DECONSTRUCT THE RECONSTRUCTION" CONTEST!
Showcase your talents and skills …
In support of Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s debut of the Reconstruction: America after the Civil War documentary, the ETV Education Division is promoting the creation of teacher and student created content centered on important themes from the Reconstruction Era.
Through the development of lesson plans and media projects, participants will showcase the integration of technology in the classroom and demonstrate the 21st Century skills that are necessary for our students to be prepared for college and the workforce.
The skills highlighted by students to include: Research and Information Fluency, Communication and Collaboration, Critical Thinking-Problem Solving-Decision Making, and Innovation and Creativity.
Categories addressed during the Reconstruction period.
- Black Leaders during Reconstruction
- Significant Events, i.e., resistance (KKK), development of schools and acquisition of land
- Black Culture, i.e,. art and literature during the reconstruction period
Important Dates to Remember
- Contest begins February 1, 2019
- Winners Announced via Reconstruction Virtual Classroom Event with Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. on April 5, 2019
Student and teacher winners will receive an Apple iPad Pro X 64GB. Additional prizes may be added in the coming weeks.
Contest Info for Students
1. One entry per person
2. Entry must focus on one of three categories addressed during the Reconstruction period:
- Black Leaders during Reconstruction
- Significant Events i.e. resistance (KKK), development of schools and acquisition of land
- Black Culture i.e. art and literature during the Reconstruction Period
3. The length of the presentation/video should not exceed 120 seconds (2 minutes), not including the 10 second title scene
4. All information presented in the presentation/video must be cited, giving credit to the original source. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification. IF CHOSEN AS A FINALIST, you must submit a list of your sources, properly cited.
5. There is no entry fee.
6. Entries may be submitted through the website starting on January 23, 2019. Winners will be announced live on April 5, 2019 All entries must be submitted in digital format.
7. Students should keep at least one copy of their presentation/video.
8. Content must align with South Carolina Academic Standards. Content MUST NOT 1) promote illegal behavior; 2) support racial, religious, sexual or other invidious prejudice; 3) advocate sexual or violent exploitation; 4) violate rights established by law or agreement; 5) invade the privacy of any person; or 6) be otherwise inappropriate as determined by SCETV Education in its sole and conclusive determination.
Contest Info for Teachers
1. Login to LearningWhy (If you do not already have an account, you can easily register with LearningWhy and create a profile).
2. Upload or use a lesson in LearningWhy on Reconstruction. Current lessons on Reconstruction in LearningWhy can be found here.
3. Document your student’s learning with pictures and videos.
4. Upload your images and/or videos (or links to your images and/or videos) to the Learning Outcomes page. The contest starts on February 1, 2019. Winners will be announced live on March 29, 2019.
ETV Education Classroom Resources
Hosting Innovative Lessons for Tomorrow’s Graduate
Teachers, in LearningWhy you will find Pre k-12 one-to-one and modified project-based, South Carolina standards driven, quality lessons.
Knowitall features a wide assortment of over 8,400 media assets, created by South Carolina ETV, with support from a variety of partners.
- Social Studies > South Carolina History > Reconstruction https://www.knowitall.org/subject/1-reconstruction
- Mann-Simons Site - https://www.knowitall.org/series/mann-simons-site
- The Woodrow Wilson Home Virtual Reality Site https://www.knowitall.org/series/lets-go
- History in a Nutshell https://www.knowitall.org/series/history-nutshell
PBS LearningMedia Resources
SCETV and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more.
Review the Resource Packet for additional details and entry information.
Contact the ETV Education Division at 803.737.3245 or email@example.com if you have questions or need more information.