SCETV Education presents the “DECONSTRUCT THE RECONSTRUCTION" CONTEST! Showcase your talents and skills … Enter to WIN! In support of Henry Louis Gates’ debut of the...
Featured in May on Knowitall.org!
Featured this month on Knowitall—Keep It Real to encourage teens 14 and above to consider their safety amid all the end-of-the-schoolyear celebrations. Knowitall Healthy to make the most of the free time you have and to encourage healthy living for kids and adults alike! For Cinco de Mayo, we offer a collection that celebrates the heritage of Hispanic people.
We also feature the Wash Hands Song and other illness prevention tips for Hand Hygiene Day. For Mother’s Day, as we honor the women who play such an important part in their family’s lives, we also honor women who are leaders in the workplace. On Armed Forces Day, we pay tribute to our military heroes from all five branches, and on Memorial Day, we honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
In addition, we’re happy to tell you that the resources from SC Life – The Cove Forest are now available on your tablet! Find more info below.
DATES & RESOURCES FOR YOUR MAY CALENDAR
- Ambrose E. Gonzales | Legacy of Leadership
- Ben R. Morris | Legacy of Leadership Interview
- Ben R. Morris | Legacy of Leadership Profile
- Blair, Frank | South Carolina from A to Z
- Bradley Fuller – Classical Music Host
- Calhoun Times | ETV Shorts
- Charlayne Hunter-Gault | Road Trip
- Curtis Rogers – Careers in Communications
- Director | Kids Work
- Elizabeth Timothy | Legacy of Leadership Profile
- Francis M. Hipp | Legacy of Leadership Profile
- G. Richard Shafto | Legacy of Leadership Interview
- G. Richard Shafto | Legacy of Leadership Profile
- Hayne Hipp: Son of Francis M. Hipp | Legacy of Leadership Interview
- Hipp, Francis Moffett | South Carolina from A to Z
- Jennet Robinson Alterman on Her Career Path | Inside Palmetto Voices
- John K. Cauthen | Legacy of Leadership
- John M. Rivers | Legacy of Leadership Profile
- Jude Fox, Classical Radio Host | Original SC
- Marshall Doswell – Civil Rights Journalist | Palmetto Scene
- Necessary South | Take on the South
- Newshour and Fort Mill High School | ETV Shorts
- Nora Ephron| Writer’s Workshop
- Orangeburg Massacre: Part 5 – Jack Bass | The Big Picture
- Orangeburg Massacre: Remembrances & Reckoning, Part 1 - Introduction (8-part series)
- Pages of History, Part 6 – Mid 20th Century | Carolina Stories
- Phifer, Mary Hardy | South Carolina from A to Z
- Photography | Artopia
- Producer | Kids Work!
- Public Relations Specialist | Kids Work!
- Pulitzer Prize Winners in South Carolina: Commentary
- Pulitzer Prize Winners in South Carolina: Reporting
- Radio – John F. Kennedy Inaugural Address | Artopia
- Radio – The War of the Worlds | Artopia
- Radio – This American Life (Ira Glass) | Artopia
- Radio Show Host Kate McKinney | Palmetto Scene
- Radio | Eye Wonder
- Rivers, John Minott | South Carolina from A to Z
- Robert A. Pierce | Legacy of Leadership
- Robertson, Benjamin Franklin, Jr. | South Carolina from A to Z
- Roger C. Peace | Legacy of Leadership
- Tavia Gaddy | Palmetto Voices
- Television Collaboration | Artopia
- Tom Wolfe | Writer’s Workshop
- TV Production on Location | Artopia
- Vincent Kolb-Lugo – Radio Producer
- Walt Whitman | Poetry All-Stars (Periscope)
- William Watts Ball | History of SC Slide Collection
Celebrates the Mexican Army’s victory over France during the Franco-Mexican war, but it also celebrates the heritage of the Mexican people. View our Hispanic Heritage Collection.
- 27:Fifty: Santa Elena Archaeological Dig and St. Augustine, Castillo De San Marcos
- Circle of Inheritance
- For God, Glory and Gold
- Hispanic Heritage (Periscope)
- La Ropa Sucia
- Marcelo Novo and Miriam Barbosa
- Nuestro Futuro (Our Future)
May 5 – World Health Organization – Hand Hygiene Day - Illness Prevention Collection under Knowitall Healthy!
Hand Hygiene Day, established by the World Health Organization, is held on May 5 every year. Check out our Flu PSAs - Illness Prevention Tips & Wash Hands Song in English and Spanish. These videos provide important reminders for everyone, all through the year. Four key illness prevention tips are highlighted in English and with Spanish subtitles, along with the Wash Hands Song with Danielle Howle.
May 8 - National Teacher’s Day / May 4 through 8 - National Teacher Appreciation Week
Let your favorite teacher know how special he or she is and how much you appreciate his or her decision to go into education! Say thank you!
May 8 – V.E. Day – Victory in Europe Day
Visit our Memorial Day Collection and hear the stories of those who served!
May 13 - Mother’s Day
As we honor the women who play such an important part in their family’s lives, we also honor women who are leaders in the workplace.
In a dynamic and growing Southern career landscape, Palmetto Voices looks to female leaders in South Carolina to share the experiences, skills and decisions that have brought them success. These voices of the Palmetto State offer advice and suggestions for excellence in various career clusters and fields of study.
From Middle School to High School, teenage girls face unique pressures everyday. Between issues with bullying, body image, boys, friends and “frenemies,” life during that awkward transitional period can feel like it’s filled with challenges. It’s important our girls have role models, people to look up to, think about, and speak with to help navigate those land mines. Project Lead South Carolina is a video series for young women, that follows notable women in South Carolina to gather advice for what makes a successful leader.
May 19 - Armed Forces Day
On Armed Forces Day, we honor and thank those who serve in all five branches of the United States Armed Forces including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Be sure to scroll down to the area below the Series to view the entire collection!
May 28 - Memorial Day
On Memorial Day, we’ll pay tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom, for our country, and for all of us.
- Generations of Heroes
- Over Here: The Homefront During World War I
- South Carolina Veterans in History
- South Carolina’s Greatest Generation
- South Carolinians in World War II
- Tuskegee Airmen
- Vanishing Generation
Be sure to scroll down to the area below the Series to view the entire collection!
FEATURED CONTENT FOR MAY
The health of our young people—and our entire population—is on our minds this month. At a time when traffic deaths among teens spike, we encourage teens 14 and up to view our series, Keep It Real, which emphasizes the importance of avoiding risky behavior and provides an up-close look at consequences. Please encourage teens you know and care about to view them, in advance of proms and other celebrations, and as they head out on vacation. We also feature our Knowitall Healthy resources, which provide important pointers for living healthy, active lives—as well as some inspiring stories!
As the spring semester comes to an end, our thoughts turn to proms, graduations and the start of summer vacations. Almost in an instant, this joyous, celebratory time of year can become a time of immense heartbreak and tragedy when a young person’s life is taken all too soon, as a result of risky behavior or inexperience. South Carolina ETV encourages you to influence a teen in your life, age 14 or above, to view Keep It Real and consider the possibility that such a tragedy could occur in their life or the life of a friend or family member. These videos offer a reality check that may serve as a valuable lesson in avoiding risky behavior. But it won’t work unless they actually view them! Please encourage teens in your life to do so and give them fair warning that the videos are difficult to watch.
Now is a great time to consider small steps we can all take toward being more physically fit and eating healthier foods! View the resources here and make the changes that you can—even in small increments. It all adds up to a healthier you!
- Youth Media Health Institute: These videos are inspiring! Take a look!
- EdAware: Important viewing for adults who want to influence the children in their lives to Eat Smart, Move More!
- Flu PSAs – Illness Prevention Tips & Wash Hands Song with Danielle Howle: Four key illness prevention tips are highlighted in English and with Spanish subtitles, along with the Wash Hands Song with Danielle Howle!
- Healthy Hannah: Twenty short videos that are engaging and fun to watch! This series helps to inspire young people to take the lead in living and enjoying a healthy lifestyle!
In this Collection, we also feature content that informs students on various ways to stay safe, including these series:
Please note that all of the content in Knowitall Healthy! is organized into these Topics:
Cove forests are unique ecosystems found exclusively in North America, in the southern Appalachian Mountains of the United States. They are a special type of forest known as mixed deciduous, meaning that forest's trees lose their leaves in fall. Cove forests are restricted to mountain "coves," which are bowl-shaped valleys with very rich, fertile, damp soil. Many cove forests have streams wandering through part of the forest. The cove forests of the South exhibit the greatest plant and tree diversity of any forests in the United States.
The cove forests of South Carolina are restricted to the northwest portion of the state, extending from the north of Westminster to north of Greenville, Jones Gap State Park, Table Rock State Park, Oconee State Park, and Caesars Head State Park all contain cove forest communities.
- High Species Diversity
- Old Growth Forests
- The Impact of Watersheds
- Carved by Streams
- Lush Herb Layers
- Rugged Terrain
- The Miltilayered Forest
- Plants of the Forest
- Animals of the Forest
- Beneficial Relationahips
- Fruits & Seeds
- Summer Growth
- A Threat to the Forest
- Root Harvesting
- Natural Invaders
Recapping below a few assets recently added, in case you’ve been too busy to look!
Series Added from ETV Education (StreamlineSC)
Series Recently Added
- Blythewood History (Modos Media)
- Finding Clovis - Shorts (Carolina Stories)
- Orangeburg Massacre: Remembrances & Reckoning (SCETV Series And Specials)
Recent Additions to Existing Series
- Appalachian Cove (NatureScene)
- Bulls Island Natural Area (NatureScene)
- Congaree National Park (NatureScene)
- Forty Acre Rock (NatureScene)
- Jocasee Gorges (NatureScene)
- Old Santee Canal Park (NatureScene)
- Peachtree Rock (NatureScene)
- Sandy Island (NatureScene)
- Sandy Point (NatureScene)
- Santee National Wildlife Refuge (NatureScene)
- Savannah River Site (NatureScene)
- Sumter National Forest (NatureScene)
AS ALWAYS, A REMINDER TO VISIT THESE AREAS!
- Be sure to visit the May Factoids and learn something new every day!
- And visit our Knowitall Blog for information on all of our Collections and other content featured in each of our Knowitall blogs!
WE ENCOURAGE YOUR FEEDBACK!
Please Contact Us and share your thoughts, questions, and ideas! And thank you!