It may be hot, but ETV provides a cool way for SC teachers to earn renewal credit! Learn and earn online from anywhere 24/7 … even at the beach or around the pool … with ETV...
November 2017 on Knowitall.org
Featured in November are videos for National Career Development, Native American Heritage, College Application Month, and Veterans Day. Also, What’s New on Knowitall, the November Factoids, plus broadcasts of Sea Change and the long-awaited documentary, Between the Waters!
Career education resources are available in all of the Career Clusters by visiting our Career Explorations Collection! You can locate these assets easily by Series or Career Cluster.
Native American Heritage Month is celebrated from November 1-30 each year.
Be sure to view these videos:
- Circle of Inheritance (Prehistoric and colonial history of South Carolina)
- Snowbird Cherokees (Explores the lives of the Snowbird Cherokees, evicted in 1938 – Trail of Tears)
- Those Who Remain (Explores the little-known cultures of South Carolina’s Native American people.)
- King Hagler from S.C. Hall of Fame (Catawba Indian Nation leader)
- Billie Anne McKellar (Catawba potter)
- Indigenous Landscape from Pee Dee Explorer (history of Native Americans in South Carolina)
- Nancy Basket from A Natural State (Cherokee basket-maker)
- Native American Heritage Month from Periscope (includes Native American Heritage, Powwow, Snowbird Cherokee, the First South Carolinians, Santee, Catawba, Pee Dee, Edisto, Chicora, and Cherokee)
- Native Americans from Road Trip (Explores how the Santee Indians and Varnertown Indians experienced the Civil Rights Movement in South Carolina)
Also, explore these Native American tribes and their history:
College Application Month
The South Carolina Commission on Higher Education has announced that College Application Month will take place each year from August until December!
Knowitall features four new videos from Carolina Classrooms to assist with financial aid, scholarships and grants!
- Applying for Financial Aid
- In this segment from Carolina Classrooms: Making College Affordable, University of South Carolina freshman Vanessa Madrid talks about her experiences applying for financial aid.
- Scholarship Programs for College
- In this segment from Carolina Classrooms: Making College Affordable, Dr. Karen Woodfaulk, Director of Student Affairs at the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, offers an overview of scholarship programs and a list of general eligibility requirements.
- Scholarship and College Application Programs
- In this segment from Carolina Classrooms: Making College Affordable, Gerrick Hampton, Program Manager, Scholarships and Grants at the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, discusses scholarships and college application programs available to South Carolina students.
- Tuition Grants
- In this segment from Carolina Classrooms: Making College Affordable, Katie Harrison, Executive Director of the South Carolina Tuition Grants Commission, details the eligibility requirements of tuition grants.
Nov. 6-10 - Media Literacy Week
Be sure to explore these resources related to Media Literacy!
In Artopia: Media Arts "Be A Media Critic," take a closer look at types of media like photography, radio, film, television and electronic arts.
For more information on Media Literacy, visit these websites: Media Literacy Clearinghouse (Videos for Teaching Media Literacy) and NAMLE (National Association for Media Literacy Education).
View our Veterans Day Collection, including:
- Generations of Heroes
- S.C. Veterans in History
- South Carolina's Greatest Generation
- South Carolinians in WW II
- Thanks, Viet Nam Vets
- Tuskegee Airmen
- Vanishing Generation
- Victory By Valor: Shaw Air Force Base
- Victory Starts Here: Fort Jackson Centennial
- Vietnam: The Monument, The Memories
SCETV PBS Kids channel Now Available on the SCETV App
- The SCETV PBS Kids channel has been added to the SCETV App, providing 24-hour access to the SCETV PBS Kids Live stream. With videos and games at your fingertips, kids can take all of the PBS educational shows wherever they go.
- You can download the SCETV App here.
- Click here frequently to find out What’s New on Knowitall!
- New assets are also available on the home page of Knowitall. Just scroll down until you see “What’s New.”
- Our Knowitall Factoids by Month will help you to extend student learning throughout the month! Visit the Collections page and click on “Knowitall Factoids by Month.”
- You can easily access the Collections page from the navigation at the top right of the Knowitall home page.
Be sure to tune in for these important programs, broadcast in November!
Narrator Patrick McMillan takes viewers from the sands of Hunting Island State Park to other communities along the coast, looking at immediate and long term impacts and the efforts made to withstand nature’s onslaught.
Nov. 15, 7:00 p.m., Nov. 19, 4:00 p.m. (SCETV)
Nov. 20, 8:00 p.m. (SCC)
Nov. 23, 11:00 a.m. (ETVW)
View online here.
Carolina Stories: Between the Waters
Located near Georgetown, historic Hobcaw was the location of a Native American settlement and later the hunting retreat of financier Bernard Baruch. This SCETV special tells the story of Hobcaw, now preserved for education and research, in the words of those who lived there.
Nov. 16, 7:00 p.m. (SCETV), Nov. 19, 3:30 p.m. (SCETV), Nov. 19, 11:00 p.m. (SCETV)
Nov. 20, 9:00 p.m. (SCC)
View online here.
As always, we invite your comments and questions.
We would love to hear from you!
- South Carolina teachers, LearningWhy is your source for lesson plans and Knowitall is your source for media. Please create an account on LearningWhy using your school email address—and gain access to both of these resources—and they’re both made available for free to SC teachers! Register today!
- Our national content partner is South Carolina PBS LearningMedia. Please register here for your free account!