03/05/2019 in: News
By Thelisha Eaddy
The “Lincoln School” was the first public school for black students in Sumter. The school was built in the late 1800s and started as a frame cottage with four classrooms. By the 1950’s, the school acquired an additional twenty classrooms, a cafeteria, a gymnasium, a library, and a band room. The last graduating class under the name of Lincoln High School was the class of 1969. But nine years before the name change, in 1960, Lincoln would be one of 17 high schools in the state to participate in a national survey.