Knowitall Collections make it easy to find what you need! You may even find things you didn't know you needed! Check out our African American History Collection and Martin...
Five South Carolina Schools Advance in Samsung’s $2 Million* National STEAM Contest
Five South Carolina schools are among the nation’s 255 state finalists in the Samsung Solve for Tomorrow Contest, a program that encourages students to solve real-world issues in their community using classroom skills in science, technology, engineering, arts and math (STEAM).
The state finalist schools were chosen based on their creative and strategic proposals to solve complicated issues that affect their communities by using STEAM learning. All 255 teachers selected as state finalists will receive one Samsung Chromebook® for their classrooms and have the opportunity to advance in the competition for additional prizes and educational opportunities.
With $2 million* in technology on the line, teachers from the five State Finalist schools will submit an Activity Plan outlining how students will tackle the local issue using STEAM skills to ultimately improve the greater community.
South Carolina State Finalists
- Richland 2 Institute of Innovation, Columbia
- Bluffton High School, Bluffton
- Ten Oak Middle, Myrtle Beach
- Hillcrest Middle School, Dalzell
- Fort Mill Elementary, Fort Mill
Future Competition Phases
- The 255 state finalists will submit an Activity Plan, outlining their project development and the issue it will work to solve.
- State winners: 51 state winners will be selected to submit a video of their project in action. For achieving state winner status, 41 of those schools will receive a $25,000 Samsung technology package, including a Samsung video kit to produce their video. The other 10 will progress to the national finalist stage.
- National finalists: 10 national finalists will be selected to attend a Pitch Event where they will pitch their project to a panel of judges. For achieving national finalist status, 7 schools will receive a $50,000 Samsung technology package. The other three will progress to the national winner stage.
- National grand prize winners: 3 national winners will be selected and each will receive a $150,000 Samsung technology package.
- Community Choice Award: All of the 10 national finalists will be eligible to win an additional $20,000 Samsung technology package based on social media voting.
Interview Opportunities/ Media Contact
Local teachers and past winners available for interviews about the local issue they’re working to solve and the importance of hands-on STEAM learning.
For questions about the program or specific school project plans, please reach out to SamsungSFT@allisonpr.com.