PBS TeacherLine is offering its spring professional development courses on a new platform, Canvas, AND with a 20% discount offer to boot! With the change to Canvas, learners...
Calling All High School Students: Make a Short Film - Win Cash Prizes
Designed to foster media arts skills and bring attention to the next generation of South Carolina filmmakers, the Young Filmmakers Project is an annual statewide high school filmmaking competition hosted by Trident Technical College and the South Carolina Film Commission. All high school students in grades 9-12 who are residents of South Carolina are eligible to enter the short film competition, including public, private and home school students
CALLING ALL HIGH SCHOOL FILMMAKERS!
The 2017 Young Filmmakers project is now open! To participate, high school students must create a short film (two minutes max) telling a cinematic story in any genre, following the creative challenge and all rules below.
Entries will be scored by a panel of independent judges on the criteria described below. Top Ten scorers will screen at a special screening program in Fall 2017. Winners will be announced at the screening. First Prize receives $500, Second Prize $300, and Third Prize $200.
Use your imagination! Be clever and creative! Most importantly, tell a story. You could win cash, prizes and a spot on the red carpet.
Deadline for entries is midnight on October 9, 2017.
To enter, follow these instructions:
Each short film entry must somehow include this specific prop - a padlock and key. Any lock and key will work. A brand new one, old fashioned with skeleton key, an animated version, etc. Use creativity to fit it into your story, and pick one that works with your film's design and tone.
1. Each entrant must be a high school student (grades 9-12) currently living in South Carolina during the 2017-2018 school year. Students graduating from high school in 2017 may enter, as long as their entry is uploaded and registration form submitted by their graduation date.
2. Each entrant may only enter once.
3. Films must be at least 30-seconds long and no longer than two minutes.
4. All entries must follow the Creative Challenge above, and have at least one 3-second shot of the assigned prop (padlock and key).
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Make an awesome short film, following the contest guidelines and shooting requirements.
2. Upload your film to either YouTube or Vimeo by midnight on Oct. 9, 2017.
3. Tag your video with "SC YOUNG FILMMAKERS" once you've uploaded it.
Films will be judged by a panel of independent judges on the following:
- Script and Story, including approach to the creative challenge (use of padlock and key)
- Production Value
- Design, including graphics, special effects, production design, sets, costumes, etc.
- Overall Impact