- In 1957, South Carolina’s General Assembly passes a concurrent resolution calling for a study of the use of television in public schools. The study committee recommends a pilot project be funded.
1958Project Coordinator Dewey Gentry and Technical Director Henry Cauthen at Dreher 1958
- A studio is built at Dreher High School in Columbia and the first telecast is transmitted via closed-circuit September 8, 1958. R. Lynn Kalmbach is selected as project director and Henry J. Cauthen is selected as technical director. Both would later serve as a SCETV president. Lucille Turney-High (French) and Cornelia Turnbull (plane geometry) are the first teachers and presenters. One hundred and fifty students are enrolled in each of the daily classes.
- Algebra is added to the curriculum. Educational services are extended to five Columbia area schools.