Back to List

President Declares Disaster for State of South Carolina

October 12, 2016 - Posted in Palmetto Scene by Tabitha Safdi
A home with trees fallen

In response to Governor Nikki Haley’s request, President Barack Obama declared a major disaster exists in the State of South Carolina and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local recovery efforts in 13 counties most severely affected by Hurricane Matthew.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance Program helps reimburse local governments, state agencies, eligible private non-profit organizations and electric co-operatives for certain expenses they have incurred. Federal disaster aid is not available for individual residents at this time.

On October 10, Governor Haley formally requested a disaster declaration from the White House for Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Darlington, Dillon, Dorchester, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Jasper, Marion, and Williamsburg counties. Her request followed an assessment of damages by representatives of the South Carolina Emergency Management Division, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, affected electric co-operatives, and local and municipal governments.

As emergency managers assess the damage caused by Hurricane Matthew, FEMA could determine that additional counties are eligible to receive federal assistance.

Under the Public Assistance Program, state and affected local governments are eligible to apply for federal funding to pay 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal and emergency services related to the storm. The division of the remaining 25 percent will be determined later.  More information about this program can be found here.

The declaration also makes cost-shared funding available to the state for approved projects that reduce - or mitigate - future disaster risks. Funds under this program will be available to state agencies, local governments, and certain non-profit organizations only. A wide variety of potential projects are eligible.

The S.C. Emergency Management Division will explain procedures for requesting assistance at a series of applicant briefings at locations to be announced shortly in the affected areas.

If you are in need call the South Carolina Public Information Phone System at 1-866-246-0133.

For road information call 855-467-2368  or  855-GOSCDOT

Important websites for up-to-date information are as follows: South Carolia Emergency Management Division, the South Carolina Department of Transportation, the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, and the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources

Categories: 

Tags: 

Facebook comments

Related Posts

On Christmas Eve of 1895, the public got its first look at America’s Largest Home when owner George Vanderbilt opened the doors for all to see. And still today, many...